Monday, May 20, 2013

Day 6 Studio
Friday was a day that we began recording my guitar tracks. I brought in three of my guitars. My Simon Patrick Luthier handmade acoustic 6 string with 2 pickups which is my favorite. I have played this guitar over 15 years and is the one I usually play live with. I love the tone and the feel and it has rich sound. I am using the lightweight DR handmade strings by sunbeam for this guitar. This SP guitar has found its way on many of my previous recordings. I also brought my 12 string acoustic Yamaha another lovely guitar that has aged well. This was a gift from my parents when I graduated high school long, long ago. I recorded with it before on the song Love and Not Fear from my first album, Modern Anguish  My newest guitar was purchased 2 months ago and is a Cort, a Larry Coryell signature archtop and we played him alot in this session!

We began the session with the song I felt most confidant about called No More and I played the Cort guitar in the jazz position for pick up and Adam added some extra edge for it on the amp. This is an older song of mine and one Alice and I already play live so the track was a snap to lay down and I had a great funky flow going on.

Next up was Dizzy, now this is a new tune and much more of a challenge for me. We recorded it about 3 times and then Adam asked if I wanted an acoustic dreamy sound for the guitar or a tight jazzy funk style. I wanted the latter so I was quickly fired for the moment and Adam stepped in and laid it down super tight and funky wow!! He loved the sound of my Cort and he played the rhythm and lead with the Cort for this song. He sounds amazing!! I gotta work on my tightness but in the end we did add the dreamy to the funk. I was re-hired with my 12 string guitar and we added this huge sound for all the pre-choruses and choruses. Not only that we doubled the instrument so I had to play it many, many times and be locked in or as precise as possible to get that huge layered effect. My hands were sore and I had to take a break as I was getting a burn but sure was worth the pain. Now I can say I suffered for my art. :)

We also did Fire Flames a sexy, sultry slippery groove with Latin influences. I was worried about my squeaks in the finger picking section but Adam thought it added a charm to the playing. I also played the Cort for this song.

It was a very productive session and I am loving how the songs are coming alive.









No comments:

Blog Archive